WHEREAS, solid waste management facilities provide a vital service to the State of Alabama and its citizens;
WHEREAS, many solid waste management facilities dispose of solid waste generated both in and outside of Alabama;
WHEREAS, the disposal of solid waste impacts the economic vitality and health of the citizens in the surrounding area;
WHEREAS, the impacts of solid waste management facilities extend beyond the political boundaries of the entities that approve solid waste management facilities;
WHEREAS, the current process for permitting solid waste disposal does not provide for a comprehensive review of the broader effects of solid waste disposal on the people of the State of Alabama before awarding a permit.
NOW, THEREFORE, based upon these considerations and for other good and valid reasons thereto, I, Robert Bentley, Governor of the State of Alabama, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Alabama, do hereby create the Alabama Solid Waste Management Task Force (the “Task Force”) to study and identify areas for specific revision regarding the permitting process for solid waste management facilities.
BE IT ORDERED, that the Task Force shall consist of the following members:
- One Legislator appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives
- One Legislature appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate
- One appointment by the Association of County Commissions of Alabama
- One appointment by the Alabama League of Municipalities
- One appointment by the Director of the Alabama Department of Environmental Management
- One appointment by Director of the Alabama Department of Public Health
- One appointment by the Alabama Tombigbee Planning Commission
- One appointment by the Waste Management Southern Group
- One appointment by the National Waste and Recycling Association
- One Appointment by the Alabama Recycling Association
- Additional members recommended by the Chair, as appointed by the Governor
BE IT FURTHER ORDERED, that the Governor shall appoint the Chair, and all members shall serve at the Governor’s pleasure.
BE IT FURTHER ORDERED, that the Task Force shall report its findings and recommendations to the Governor by March 1, 2017. Recommendations may take the form of regulatory or statutory changes.
BE IT FURTHER ORDERED, that the Task Force shall adopt rules governing times and places for meetings and the manner of conducting its business. The Task Force and any committee of the Task Force may meet by teleconference. All Task Force members shall serve without compensation.
BE IT FURTHER ORDERED, that this Executive Order shall become effective immediately upon its execution and shall remain in effect until amended or modified by the Governor.
DONE AND ORDERED this the 15th day of September, 2016.
John H. Merrill
Secretary of State
Provided by the Office of the Governor of Alabama | governor.alabama.gov